Here’s a good article that discusses all of the unrest going on in Haiti. Laura and Beno plan to return only after the situation gets better.
Another Earthquake occurred in Haiti on its northern coast. It was 5.9 magnitude at Port-de-Paix on the north coast.
Our village of Belle Vie on Gonave is 80 miles south from the epicenter and appears to be safe from any damage or injuries but we’re still waiting on confirmation.
Wilto has been busy with his team of villagers constructing a fence around the school and church. I had never seen this kind of fence before until I visited Haiti in 2011. Basically, straight tree branches are “planted” in the ground side by side and they eventually take root, begin growing and become a “living fence.”
So not only secure but looks great, too! I’ll post some photos once it’s complete. Here’s part of the fence near the storage building.
To all of our donors, today we sent a 2017 Donation Tax Letter electronically to everyone with an email address on file and the rest will be sent via hardcopy letter in the mail this week. If you don’t happen to receive it please let Sharon know. Thanks!
Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Thank you all for your very generous support of GML these past several years!
Laura, Beno, Wilto and the entire team, with your support have done some amazing things in Haiti these past few years:
- A school with new 3 new school rooms and school office this year for the 200 school kids serviing pre-K to through middle school.
- Clean drinking water with a 100,000 gallon cistern—saving, mostly, women and young girls time!
- A large church to meet the spiritual needs of the community and also served as a shelter during the devastating hurricane last year!
- Sanitary latrines –many people underestimate the importance of this!
- Hot lunches in partnership with Feed My Starving Children for the children every class day improving passing grades from 67% to 93%!
- A recent medical services mission in partnership with Vision Internation Mission.
Great to have a medical team visit our village last week. Laura was there to help coordinate. We’re looking forward to hearing all about it on Laura’s return to the US.
Here’s a Facebook post with some photos on Vision International’s site.